For every $10 spent on local food with SNAP/EBT, shoppers earn $5 in Farm Fresh Rewards.
Current Farm Fresh Rewards Locations:
123 High St, Belfast
54 Main St, Livermore Falls
70 South St, Blue Hill
443 Main St, Norway
269 Water St, Gardiner
217 North Ave, Skowhegan
750 Main St, Rockland
21 Wells Rd, Cape Elizabeth
76 US-1, Machias
5 Veterans Highway, Brooks
290 Congress St, Portland
323 Main St, Damariscotta
88 Congress St, Portland
443 US-1, Freeport
98 Town House Rd, Whitefield
161 Ocean St, South Portland
17 Portland St, Fryeburg
5825, 80 Grove St, Waterville
Find a Store Near You: Look for Farm Fresh Rewards Markers on the map!
Helpful Tips for Using Farm Fresh Rewards:
- Buy more, get more: Get a $5 voucher for every $10 spent on local food with SNAP/EBT.
- Use the map above to find participating locations, and look for in-store for labels to find local food.
- Vouchers can be used for fresh, frozen, and dried local fruits and vegetables that are grown in Maine and contain no added salt, sugars, or fats. Local, food-producing seeds and seedlings count too!
- Each voucher is worth $5. You must spend the full $10 on local food w/ SNAP/EBT to earn one, and you must spend the full $5 on fruits and veggies to use one. Look for small local items (like garlic) to help round up.
- Vouchers can be spent on your next purchase or saved for later in the season.
- Remember to check the expiration dates on your vouchers – use them before it is too late!
- Vouchers can be used at any store participating in the FFR program. You do not have to spend them at the stores where you earned them.
Some Frequently Asked Questions, and answers:
- How does this program work?
If paying with SNAP/EBT at any of the participating stores, customers get FREE vouchers to spend on local fruits and vegetables when buying local food.
- Who is eligible for this program?
Any customer paying with SNAP/EBT (formerly called food stamps, or in Maine the “Food Supplement program” or the Pine Tree Card).
- What do you earn vouchers on?
Local products that are also SNAP-eligible. Local labels and shelf tags can help you find products that qualify for earning vouchers.
- What can you spend vouchers on?
Any Maine-grown fruit or vegetable. This includes fresh, frozen, and dried products with no added sugars, salts, or fats. Local, food-producing seeds and plants count too!
- Are these programs only available in the summertime?
This program is available all year! More and more farmers are growing food through the winter. Some of the stores do change hours in the winter.
- Can I use the vouchers at other stores?
Yes, vouchers are valid at all participating stores.
- Can I use vouchers at farmers’ markets?
No. Maine Harvest Bucks is our sister nutrition incentive program, but Farm Fresh Rewards vouchers CANNOT be used at Maine Harvest Bucks sites and vice versa. However, anyone using SNAP benefits is encouraged to participate in both programs.
- How is this program funded?
Funding for this program comes from a federal grant, and much of it also comes from individual donors, communities, and other foundations. If anyone has questions or wants to support this program, please send them to Maine Farmland Trust.
- How does this help farmers?
The vouchers you get and spend for local produce are fully paid for by Maine Farmland Trust, through our grant and other funding. The farmer gets full price for everything you buy through this program, including the extra food you get with the vouchers! By increasing the amount of foods you buy that are produced by Maine farmers, you are building their sales, which supports the growth of their overall farm business.
What we hear about Farm Fresh Rewards:
“This program is on many levels a life-saver, in that I get to eat…good quality food, I get to support my local farmers and vendors, and in my mind all of that is a win-win. Overall the mental and physical health benefits and the opportunity to get more food is huge for me. It’s a big deal.” –Customer
“We really love that our local food co-op offers nutrition incentives. It is a win for our farm and fellow farmers in that more people are encouraged to buy local products (hopefully [our] yogurt and kefir!) and great for our community that folks can utilize these programs to support our local co-ops and small businesses, and fantastic that families get to see their benefits stretched further and are able to enjoy fresh local fruits and veggies grown in their communities.” –Farmer
Still have questions? Want to offer incentives at your retail store?
We’d love to hear from you.
Contact Abby, email@example.com or (207) 338-6575.